What do we collect and use personal information for?In order to.
- administer your e-mail accounts with us;
- process orders or applications submitted by you;
- customise the service we provide to you;
- administrate or otherwise carry out our obligations in relation to any agreement you have with us;
- verify your identity (for example, in the event you are a competition winner);
- anticipate and resolve problems with any goods or services supplied to you;
- carry out market research and tracking of sales data;
- send you information about products and services,
We may add to the information that we collect from you and from your use of our services with information that we learn from your interactions with other companies within the wider DMGT Group.
We also ask you for other optional information such as what sort of device you use (such as a mobile telephone or PDA), and what sort of subjects interest you.
We also collect information from you if you choose to take part in any of our surveys or competitions. We use this information to contact the winners of competitions and to help us plan other promotional campaigns.
Log files/IP addressesWhen you visit our Site, we automatically log your IP address (the unique address which identifies your computer on the internet) which is automatically recognised by our web server. We use IP addresses to help us administer the Site and to collect broad demographic information for aggregate use. [We do not link IP addresses to personally identifiable information].
Non personal informationWe may automatically collect non-personal information about you such as the type of internet browsers you use or the site from which you linked to our Sites. You cannot be identified from this information and it is only used to assist us in providing an effective service on our Sites. We may from time to time supply the owners or operators of third party sites from which it is possible to link to our Sites with information relating to the number of users linking to our Sites from their sites. You cannot be identified from this information.
CookiesWe want to make sure that our Sites are as easy to use and useful as possible and that they suit each user's needs as closely as possible. This sometimes involves placing small amounts of information on your computer or other device (for example, your mobile phone). Some of this information is placed using small files called "cookies".
None of the cookies that we use contain information such as your real name or address, so you cannot be identified personally from the cookies.
Examples of how cookies are used on our websites include the following:
- Remembering that you have already given a user name and password, so that you do not need to input these every time you visit the website or move from one web page to another within the website.
- Indicating whether you have used the website before (and, if so, when), so that we can count how many users of the website there are. This allows us to make sure that we have enough capacity for the number of users that we get and to make sure that the website runs fast enough.
- Gathering information on how you use the website, so as to help us improve the way the website works and to improve our service to users.
- Gathering information about the pages on the website that you visit, and also other information about other websites that you visit, so as to place you in a "market segment". This information is collected by reference to the IP address that you are using and so does not identify you personally, but does include information about the country and city you are in, together with the name of your internet service provider. This information is then used to place interest based adverts on the website which it is believed will be relevant to your market segment.
- A single permanent cookie is written to the user's PC so they can be identified. There is no personal data held in this cookie and it is an encrypted ID so we can see the user as a return visitor
- Also we do write a section cookie as well to determine what section (main menu) to display but this is only a temporary cookie and is deleted when the user closes their browser.
- Some of the cookies used by our websites are set by us, and some are set by third parties who are delivering services (such as interest based advertising directed at your market segment) on our behalf. For more information about this type of interest based advertising, about cookies, and about how to turn this feature off, please visit www.youronlinechoices.co.uk. Please note that the effectiveness of any opt-out for interest based advertising may be impacted by deleting all cookies on your browser.
If you would like to restrict or block the cookies that are set by our websites, you can do this by using your browser settings. The "help" function within your browser should tell you how to do this. If you want to restrict or block cookies on your mobile phone, you will need to check your handset user manual for instructions on how to do this. You may wish to visit www.allaboutcookies.org, which contains lots of useful information about cookies and their uses (including how to delete them from your computer) and explains how to restrict or block cookies when using various different types of browser.
You need to be aware that restricting, blocking or deleting cookies used by our websites may have any adverse impact on the functionality of the websites, or on your ability to access or use them.
Improving our serviceStaff from dmg events, or from our agents, may contact you from time to time by telephone using your the contact means you have specified to us in order to get your views and comments on the service we provide to you or to verify your details.
Disclosing your information to othersOther than the disclosures referred to in this policy, we will not disclose any personal information without your permission unless we are legally entitled or obliged to do so (for example, if required to do so by Court order or for the purposes of prevention of fraud or other crime).
We will only disclose your personal information to a third party either as part of a reorganisation or a sale of the assets of a dmg events company, or having ensured that steps have been taken to ensure that your privacy rights continue to be protected.
Information about products and servicesIt is very important to us that we provide you with the highest level of service. In order to help us do this, from time to time and subject to obtaining your agreement, your personal data may be used by dmg events and/or other companies within the Daily Mail and General Trust plc group of companies to contact you by email, fax, telephone and/or post with information and offers on our products and/or services and/or those of our other group companies.
If at any time you do not wish to continue to receive these details you can contact us by emailing to email@example.com
Keeping our records accurateWe aim to keep our information about you as accurate as possible. If you would like to review or change the details you have supplied us we are in the process of creating a "my details" feature with a hyperlink to your record in our database. If you have another query relating to your information, please contact us as set out below.
Public forums and chat roomsdmg events's sites make chat rooms, forums, message boards, and/or news groups available to its users. Any information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information and you should always be careful when deciding to disclose your personal information.
SecurityThe internet is not a secure medium. We have implemented technology and policies to help safeguard your privacy from unauthorised access and improper use and will continue to update these measures as new technology becomes available.
Third party sitesWe cannot be responsible for the privacy policies and practices of other sites even if you access them using links from our Sites and recommend that you check the policy of each site you visit.
In addition, if you linked to any of our Sites from a third party site, we cannot be responsible for the privacy policies and practices of the owners or operators of that third party site and recommend that you check the policy of that third party site and contact its owner or operator if you have any concerns or questions.
Transferring your personal information outside the European Economic AreaAs part of the services offered to you through our Site, the information you provide to us may be transferred to countries outside of the European Economic Area ("EEA"). By way of example, our business is located in Dubai and our servers may from time to time be located in a country outside of the EEA. In addition, one of our service providers may be located in a country outside of the EEA. We also share information between our group companies which are located worldwide. These countries may not have similar data protection laws to the EEA. If we transfer your information outside of the EEA in this way, we will take steps to ensure that your privacy rights continue to be protected.
In addition, if you use our services while you are outside the EEA, your information may be transferred outside the EEA in order to provide you with those services.